Race Relationships @ FPC
First Presbyterian Church of Salisbury, NC created a Race Task Force, comprised of church members and community leaders in early 2020.
The mission of the Race Task Force (RTF) is to demonstrate the love and grace of Christ by promoting anti-racism at First Presbyterian Church (FPC) in Salisbury, NC.
The RTF will strive to fulfill this mission by:
· Exploring the biblical and theological foundations of anti-racism through the study of scripture’s story and themes.
· Providing regular engagement opportunities in a safe space that are open to all FPC members
· Serving as the primary clearinghouse for all race-related and reconciliation programs and events at FPC, including:
+ Supporting individuals and groups within FPC as they seek to incorporate anti-racism themes into programming and events
+ Publicizing such programming and events within FPC, and if applicable, in the community
+ Assisting individual and groups with curriculum and other resources as needed
· Acting as FPC’s central location for the collection, organization, and distribution of educational materials, resources, and other documents related to the mission of the RTF
· Providing updates to the Session, making recommendations [as needed] to the Session, and requesting formal Session approval for activities that fall under the mission of the RTF at FPC
· Discernment of the presence of the Holy Spirit through personal and communal prayer.
The RTF has identified three overarching, primary goals:
1. To support anti-racism educational programming and curricula at FPC
2. To organize special events to promote anti-racism and community-building at FPC and within the local community
3. To encourage acts of biblical reconciliation from within FPC