Resources Used by RTF
Promoting Racial Equity
Striving towards Cultural Competency
• A documentary for those who will read Jesus and the Disinherited: MPT Presents | Backs Against the Wall: The Howard Thurman Story | PBS
• PCUSA agency Racial Justice Resources, including recommended books, articles, policy statements, videos and study materials: Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) - Racial Justice Resources (pcusa.org)
• PCUSA four-part video documentary to facilitate conversation and engagement around issues of race/racism: Course: Trouble the Water (pcusa.org)
• PCUSA 21-day Racial Justice Challenge: Presbyterian Mission Agency Dismantling structural racism | Matthew 25 in the PC(USA): A bold vision and invitation | Presbyterian Mission Agency
• PCUSA Facing Racism Study Guide (six weeks which would fit nicely into Lent): facing-racism-study-guide.pdf (pcusa.org)
• NYT list of feature films on history of black Americans: 28 Days, 28 Films for Black History Month - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
• 10 “Must Watch” Black History Documentaries | PBS
• Traces of the Trade: a Story from the Deep North (filmmaker Katrina Browne traces the disturbing history of her slave-trading New England ancestors) available on DVD and Roku (watch trailer at Traces of the Trade | POV | PBS).
• Three-part video series Race: The Power of an Illusion (racepowerofanillusion.org) Can be streamed on Vimeo.
• Additional resources on the Salem Presbytery website: Presbyterian Church Facing Racism